Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Day 22 and 23 - Kaloa Zip Line and Poipu Beach, Kauai

Day 22 - Poipu Beach, Kauai.
Jen and I got up early to go snorkeling over at Poipu Beach Park (just 10 min walk from our condo). There are some monk seals that come up to sleep during the day. The snorkeling was OK. I think we have been quite spoiled. After snorkeling we went over and grabbed a couple of Americanos at Starbucks. A perfect morning!
A thousand pound mammal - and a monk seal!
A fish
Another fish
Three fish
A bunch of fish!
We hung out close to home all day. There is a place just up the beach where the water funnels through a hole making a spout. This one is called spouting horn. It was a bit of a dud the day we went. Did I mention that there are chickens everywhere here? A hurricane about 20 years ago sent chickens literally flying all over the island. The ones that survived got together and there are now free range chickens all over the place.
We popped over to another snorkeling spot by the Beach House at about 5:00pm but the waves were so big we were jossled all over the place. 
A nice look'n chick'n
Surfers in front of the Beach House
Wedding photos in front of the Beach House
This is how I think I look when surfing
Ho hum - another perfect evening...
We hung around for the sunset but the kids were getting restless for dinner so we took off and grabbed an awesome thin crust pizza in Kaloa Town. 

Day 23 - Kaloa Zip Line and Poipu Beach, Kauai
Today we got up early to go zip-lining. The course was just a few kilometers up the road, set back in the jungle. The waterproof camera is not doing very well. We found some moisture in the battery compartment and had to let it dry out. Now it won’t come on. We are going to get some new batteries but I have a feeling we pushed it too far. We took the big camera (Canon SLR) but couldn’t use it as we needed our hands and well, what I am saying is - no photos.
Apart from these ons that I copied off the web-site.


There were 8 lines in total ranging from 250ft to 2,500ft (that’s half a mile!). Ryan was a little scared at first but he soon got his confidence and was cheering at the end.

We were done by 11:00am and grabbed some fish tacos from a stand right outside the zip-line office. We spent the rest of the day back at the Plantation, had a good long nap. Then Jemma decided to take her surf lesson. The cool thing was the other people didn't show up so Jemma had the instructor to herself. 
Jemma is a natural!
Perfect waves!
The guy with the hat is the instructor. He lines you up and pushes you into the good waves. 


I thought I would have another go
I dug the nose in and that was it for that wave!
A crazy boogie boarder further down the beach!
He offered to let Jenny and me take out a board too. Hmm. Not much improvement. Jemma did great!
Later on we barbecued some burgers. Yummy


No comments: