Monday, June 25, 2012

Day 10 - Kenora to Thunder Bay 450km



Last night we arrived in Kenora at 9:30pm. The time was a bit confusing since my phone said that we lost an hour when we entered Ontario. That would be the second time change in one day. However, when we checked into the camp site the manager said that the actual time change occurs in Thunder Bay.

Kenora turned out to be a diamond in the rough. Kenora is set among a huge lake system with over 1600 islands. It is incredible. Luckily there were no bugs but the bird life was amazing. We could hear the haunting call of loons when we walked out onto the dock at 11:00pm.

We decided to hang about the next morning and swim in the lake. We all had a dip. Jemma and Ryan stalked, hunted and trapped a small squirrel.
We started our drive to Thunder Bay at 2;00pm and are on our way right now. The views have been great all the way. We heard so many stories about how boring the drive would be. We haven’t found that at all!

Kenora, ON
Here’s Jemma’s journal entry for the few couple of days.
June 22
I can’t believe its been a whole week! We are in Drumheller right now. We went to Horeshoe Canyon. Who knew there were canyons in Drumheller? Anyway, they weren’t really steep and deadly canyons [Jemma is referring to Utah where we stood on the edge of 1,00ft drops that freaked her out]; you could actually climb down them. We went on this really narrow ledge on the side of the canyon. It was really scary but really fun. So far this is a really fun/interesting/scary trip!
June 24
Right now we are leaving Saskachewan. I thought Saskachewan was going to be more flat and more hot and more boring, but it was not. I kind of wished it was more flat like the pictures I’ve seen but it was okay, it was still beautiful.
June 25
Yesterday we had 16 hours on the road and I am loving it! We had dinner at Perkin’s and there were lots of old people! I don’t think dad liked it! I just shared with Mum so I got a chocolate silk pie for dessert [Jemma did not order an entrĂ© so she she was able to order dessert], it was soo good! We got to Kenora (which is 2hrs past Winnipeg) at 11:00pm. It was crazy [at the time I thought it was almost 11:00pm]. 
We had a midnight walk across this dock that went across a lake. It was beautiful.
This morning i woke up to bluw sky. We had pancakes for breakfast and this chipmunk was trying to get some of the pancake. We set up a trap and I lured the chipmunk to it and we caught it! It was so much fun!
There was this beautiful beach and lake. We went swimming. it was a good day!


Pancake Breakfast
The Critter
The Hunter
The Stalker
The Prize!

5 comments:

Arlana said...

I really like Jemma's journal entries, sounds like she is have a great time. Good job catching a chipmunk!

Donut said...

Kenora, formerly known as Rat Portage (why on earth would they change that?!), is gorgeous! I especially loved that the Safeway had boat access. I would love to spend more time there. Glad you stopped for a dip and chipmunk trap!

auntie di said...

Keep right on to the end of the road have a fabulous adventure but stay safe

Cat said...

hey nice ot see you are staying in budget by hunting for your own meat
good on ya eh!?!!!

love and light

Cat said...

Aiden says he wants to do that!!!!!!